Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Limits Strike Back

Well, it looks like limits have come back to haunt me. Although in a different form.

The limits in calculus are defined as
For all epsilons greater than zero in the set of reals, there exists a delta greater than zero in the set of reals, such that if the distance of a value x from a value c is less than delta and greater than zero, then the distance between the function and its limit is less than epsilon.
Which makes sense, until you see the definition of limits in CSC165, which is basically the same thing but you don't actually understand what a limit is. You just stare at this symbolic definition for a limit and think, "Okay, now how can I prove this?"

Which is why I think we should have spent more time on limits.

Also, this student sums up how I felt about the exam fairly accurately (too much second guessing!):
http://hayleycsc165experiences.blogspot.ca/2014/10/5th-week-into-csc165.html

No comments:

Post a Comment